Monday, May 7, 2007

Track your progress

Have you broken a record lately? You do not have to be an olympic medalist to break a record. One of the biggest flaws that I see in program design is that once someone starts to follow a program they do not track their progress. There are only a few ways that I have found to progress effectively and they are load, sets, or reps. If you continue to do the same workout over and over again and never lift more wieght, do more sets, or do more reps than your body will adapt to the stimulus and stop making progress.

The best way that I have found to make progress is by tracking your workouts. I use a binder where I write the amount of weight, sets, and reps I have done for a particular workout. When I attempt that same workout next week I attempt to add more weight, do more reps. or more sets. But if you don't know where you are at you will never know if you progressed. One of my football coaches told me that you never stay the same you either get better or get worst. If you are not tracking your progress you might be getting worst.

No comments: